Can You Biologically Reverse Your Age? Science Says It’s Possible
With specialized health programs and the right hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) protocol, it may be possible to reverse your biological age. How? It involves targeting the key biomarkers responsible for the body’s aging process. This quick guide dives into all the details.
What Are the Two Types of Age?
First, it helps to understand the two types of age:
- Chronological age or how many birthdays you have had
- Biological age or “the aging of our body’s functions”
Biological age refers to how old a person’s body and cells actually are. It’s often measured by evaluating a person’s various biological markers, such as:
- Epigenetic changes: Your behavior and environment can impact how your genes function.
- Telomeres: They protect the ends of chromosomes from deterioration. As we age, our telomeres naturally shorten. A yearly decrease of their length by 20–40 bases is associated with serious illnesses.
- Senescent cells: Over time, these cells can accumulate in the body and prevent cells from growing. The increase in senescent cells contributes to age-associated conditions.
- Stem cell exhaustion: The growth of senescent cells with age causes the activity of stem cells to slowly decrease.
Additionally, biological age takes into account a person’s:
- Lifestyle choices
A healthy adult who has a chronological age of 60 years can be much younger in biological age if they have long and healthy telomeres and a healthy amount of senescent cells—areas that can be achieved with the right lifestyle.
Researchers note “biological age is a better predictor of morbidity risk than chronological age.”
Does Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) Reverse Aging?
A unique protocol of HBOT has been scientifically proven for reversing biological age.
Several studies illustrate HBOT, when administered in a specific protocol:
- Improves cognitive, physical, and psychological performance. These areas ultimately help promote healthspan and longevity.
- May increase telomere length and encourage the “clearance of senescent cells.” This illustrates the potential HBOT has in slowing aging.
Keep in mind, the type of HBOT protocol is important. Not all HBOT programs are created equal. There are different types of oxygen chambers, and each provides a unique process. Reversing biological age has been scientifically proven only in multi-chamber suites, such as those at Aviv.
The Aviv Medical Program
The Aviv Medical Program offers a more robust and extensive treatment program compared to other clinics. The program has been clinically proven to reverse biological aging by:
- Lengthening telomeres
- Reducing senescent cells
- Stem cell proliferation
- Targeting other areas of the brain and body to improve cognitive and physical performance
Our program consists of a treatment plan that begins with:
- In-depth review of health history
- Comprehensive physical and neurological exams
- Highly advanced brain imaging scans
- Neurological and neurocognitive tests
- Body composition analysis
- A detailed report of our assessment findings
Based on the results of the above, as well as your goals, needs, and symptoms, your customized medical program can also include:
- Cognitive training
- Physical training
- Dietary coaching
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) provided in the specific protocol used in the above studies
All of this is included in Aviv’s physician-designed program tailored to each client’s needs.
4 Ways the Aviv Medical Program and HBOT Can Promote Reverse Aging and Actionable Tips
Let’s dive more into specifics and break down the four main ways HBOT can help reverse aging. You’ll also find additional strategies to give your mind and body the holistic care they need for optimal performance.
Note: Speak to your doctor before you pursue any lifestyle changes.
1. Cognitive Health
Common cognitive decline with age includes memory issues, language processing, and sleep disorders.
Health experts note harnessing oxygen via HBOT along with cognitive training can help. Breathing in a pressurized environment with fluctuating oxygen levels can:
- Turbocharge the body’s self-healing mechanisms.
- Slow down the biological aging process.
Cognitive training inside the HBOT suite can be more effective as well. For example, Aviv Clinics provides each patient with a tablet, so they can engage in brain exercises during their HBOT sessions.
Additional Strategies for Optimal Cognitive Performance
- Find healthy ways to cope with stress: If not managed, chronic stress can take a neurological toll, raising the risk of cognitive issues (e.g., memory and attention problems). Safeguard your cognitive health by engaging in healthy coping mechanisms for stress.
- Engage in brain games: Playing brain games can improve cognitive performance and enhance the overall quality of life. The fact that these games are fun is just the icing on the cake.
2. Physical Health
Our bodies grow less efficient at channeling oxygen when we age. This is one of the reasons why we may feel “slower” in terms of mental and physical performance.
Research shows a specific HBOT protocol may:
- Optimize athletic performance by helping you elevate aerobic stamina, heal faster post-injury and more
- Minimize pain via anti-inflammatory effects
Additional Strategies for Optimal Physical Performance
- Exercise regularly: Commit to at least 30 minutes of exercise three days a week. Make sure your exercise regime involves cardio and strength training.
- Engage in intermittent fasting: Not only does intermittent fasting promote weight loss, but this metabolic switching can also help enhance the brain’s ability to resist injury and disease.
3. Mental Health
Mental health is another vital area to nourish with age. It is estimated that 20% of people age 55 or older experience some type of mental health concern. This may be attributed to life changes or events and injuries (e.g., TBIs, concussions, mini-strokes).
Evidence suggests a proprietary HBOT plan can:
- Improve neuroplasticity, or the brain’s ability to adapt in response to an injury or disease. This means the brain can rewire itself after suffering an injury and strengthen its neural connections—key aspects to improving and maintaining cognitive health.
- Enhance brain functionality in those with PTSD, helping PTSD survivors alleviate their symptoms.
Additional Strategies for Optimal Mental Performance
- Try meditation: Meditation offers many brain health benefits, such as helping to cope with anxiety, depression, and overall mood. Following a simple daily practice will provide moments of groundedness and clarity.
- Lean on your support system: Reach out to family and friends for support. Human connection can be a lifeline to healing.
4. Sexual Health
Various reports state that “frequent sex can improve…our general quality of life and may even extend our life by years.”
“Men tend to marry younger women, die sooner and care more about sex.” But until what age is a man sexually active?
Experts say, “at age 55, men can expect another 15 years of sexual activity.” But this stat isn’t universal—conditions like erectile dysfunction (ED) can minimize the quantity and quality of sexual health.
Luckily, studies illustrate HBOT may be a promising supportive or independent treatment for ED. It can encourage new blood vessel formation and improve blood flow, which can help recover erectile function.
Additional Strategies for Optimal Sexual Performance
- In addition to HBOT, take good care of your physical, mental, and cognitive health with the suggestions we’ve listed above.
- According to researchers, “Modifiable risk factors for ED include smoking, lack of physical activity, wrong diets, overweight or obesity, metabolic syndrome, and excessive alcohol consumption.”
- Therefore, following a healthy diet and exercise regime are key to overcoming ED and promoting better sexual activity in older adults.
Invest in HBOT to Reverse Your Age
Reversing your age may sound fantastical, but with the right medical team by your side, that goal may be possible.