Losing Libido: The Underlying Causes and Most Effective Treatments
Sexual activity can have significant health benefits for aging men. Apart from the obvious enjoyable reasons, sexual activity has a lot of physiologically beneficial effects. Sex can increase levels of endorphins and hormones, which can help to improve mood, reduce stress, and improve overall well-being. It has also been linked to lower rates of cardiovascular disease, improved immune function, and even increased lifespan.
Engaging in regular sexual activity as you age can also help maintain intimacy and strengthen relationships, which can positively impact mental health and overall quality of life. This contributes to feelings of self-esteem, self-worth, and self-confidence. Therefore, it is essential for aging men to maintain a healthy sex life for as long as they are able to do so.
However, this might be sometimes easier said than done…
What is Erectile Dysfunction (ED)?
Erectile dysfunction (ED) is a common problem among aging men, defined as the inability to achieve or maintain an erection during sexual activity. The Massachusetts Male Aging Study reported a prevalence of 52%.2 The study demonstrated that ED is increasingly prevalent with age: approximately 40% of men are affected at age 40 and nearly 70% of men are affected at age 70. While ED is not an inevitable part of aging, it is often associated with age-related changes in the body, chronic medical conditions, and lifestyle choices.
Causes of Erectile Dysfunction in Aging Men
The causes of ED in aging men are multifactorial and can be divided into physical and psychological factors.
Physical causes may include:
- Reduced blood flow to the penis due to atherosclerosis, which is a narrowing of the blood vessels.
- Hormonal imbalances, such as a decrease in testosterone levels.
- Nerve damage caused by conditions such as diabetes, multiple sclerosis, and Parkinson’s disease.
- Medications used to treat chronic medical conditions such as hypertension, diabetes, and depression.
- Lifestyle factors, such as smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, and obesity.
Psychological factors that can contribute to ED include stress, anxiety, depression, and relationship problems.
Available Treatment Options:
The treatment of ED in aging men depends on the underlying cause of the condition.
Some of the treatment options available for ED include:
- Lifestyle changes: making lifestyle modifications, such as quitting smoking, losing weight, and reducing alcohol consumption, can improve erectile function.
- Medications: medications such as sildenafil, tadalafil, and vardenafil can dilate the blood vessels and help improve erectile function by increasing blood flow to the penis.
- Vacuum erection devices: vacuum erection devices (VEDs) are non-invasive devices that can help to improve erectile function by creating a vacuum that pulls blood into the penis.
- Penile injections: penile injections such as alprostadil can be used to help achieve an erection by increasing blood flow to the penis.
- Penile implants: surgical implantation of penile implants can be an option for men who do not respond to other treatment options.
ED and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy:
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) is a non-invasive treatment option that involves breathing pure oxygen in a pressurized chamber. New protocols of hyperbaric oxygen therapy, like the so-called Hyperoxic-Hypoxic paradox, have been shown to stimulate the growth of new blood vessels (angiogenesis), which can help to improve erectile function in men with ED.
Dr. Shai Efrati is a researcher and hyperbaric medicine expert who has conducted research on the use of hyperbaric oxygen therapy for the treatment of ED. His research has shown that HBOT can improve erectile function in men with ED by stimulating the growth of new blood vessels in the penis and improving blood flow.
In a study published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine, Dr. Efrati and his team found that 70% of men who underwent HBOT reported a significant improvement in their erectile function. The study also included high-resolution perfusion MRIs of the penis that demonstrate improved blood perfusion following treatment. The study also found that the effects of HBOT on erectile function were long-lasting, with some participants still reporting improvements in their erectile function six months after treatment.
Erectile dysfunction is a common problem among aging men that can significantly impact their quality of life. While there are several treatment options available for ED, the most effective approach is to address the underlying cause of the condition. The protocol of hyperbaric oxygen therapy is a promising treatment option for ED, with research showing that it can improve erectile function in men by stimulating the growth of new blood vessels in the penis and improving blood flow.
Dr. Shai Efrati’s research on the use of hyperbaric oxygen therapy for the treatment of ED is an exciting development that could provide a new treatment option for men with this condition.The unique hyperbaric protocol developed by Dr Efrati is only available at the Aviv Clinics, Florida.
Contact the clinic to learn more about the Aviv Medical Program and how it helps people improve cognitive and physical performance.
Boosting Libido: The Latest Research on Enhanced Sexual Performance for Men
Boosting Libio: The Latest Research on Enhanced Sexual Performance for Men
When: April 5 10:30 am – 12:00 pm
Where: Brownwood Hotel & Spa, The Villages, Florida
Dr. Shai Efrati will host a seminar for men on erectile dysfunction and enhancing sexual performance. In this seminar, he will explain the latest medical research and techniques for improving sexual performance as we age, offering deep insights into the links between erectile dysfunction, blood flow, mental health, diet, and lifestyle. Additionally, Dr. Efrati will discuss the latest treatment options available, including the role of advanced Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) in promoting healthy blood flow and enhancing sexual function and libido.
Open to men and women.